Blaze at Ironworks site set to burn for several days
A huge fire broke out at around 10.30pm on Saturday 15th September at an Ironworks company in Stanton near Ilkeston.
60 firefighters battled the blaze at the property which contained over 7000 tonnes of wood.
The fire service said that a “large plume of smoke” spread across the region but it is not believed that the smoke was toxic. However they did advice people with breathing difficulties to keep windows shut and to remain indoors if possible.
A local homeowner affected by the incident said: “I’ll be claiming off someone for this because it stinks. The wind’s changed so it’s now coming right over us. If it’s set to go on for a few days it will stink the whole house out, even with our windows and doors shut. If it goes into the house and takes the carpets and curtains, it’s not going to be nice. We’ve got no alternative but to put up with it.”
Steve Carnell, who was visiting a relative nearby at the time of the fire said: “We’ve got the doors and windows shut. We’re waiting for my dad to come out of hospital – I don’t know what he’ll make of this. Luckily, it’s only wood that is burning so it’s not toxic. The smoke has only been blowing over us this morning. A slight gust of wind can change it simultaneously.”
Station manager Gary Platts said: “The wood is mainly recycled and therefore less compact and harder to put out. Firefighters are continuing to work to keep the fire under control and prevent the fire from further spread. We did receive reports of the smoke being seen from the M1 and we continue to urge drivers to be careful on nearby roads while the smoke is still coming off the fire.”
Mr Platts added: “It is a pretty big fire and has given off a lot of smoke. We have had assistance from the owners of the site and they have been using their equipment to help us, but they can only do so much because they don’t have breathing equipment and we don’t want to see them put in danger. I would also like to thank the crews from Nottinghamshire who have come to help us”
It is not yet known how the fire started. Mr Platts said: “It’s too early to say what any cause might be – there are some organic elements to the recycled wood which could have created heat or it could have been malicious. We just don’t know yet.”
Chinese lantern sets fire to conservatory roof
Firefighters from Deeside were called to an incident at a house on Hilltop Close, Ewloe at around 9.18pm on Saturday after a Chinese lantern melted its way through a conservatory roof.
The lantern had drifted on to the property, landing on the conservatory and burned through the plastic roof. The resident woke to find her home filled with smoke and alerted the fire service.
Paul Whybro from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “These lanterns are popular, but present a significant hazard and therefore we are appealing to the public to be careful when handling them. This lady was lucky as the incident could have been much more serious. The lantern burned through her conservatory whilst she was asleep at night and had been smouldering for some hours – it was pure luck that the hot wax fell onto the floor and did not set any furniture alight. Her home could easily have gone up in flames.”
My Whybro added: “Please follow our advice. Make sure that no one is standing underneath when a lantern is set up as there is a possibility that oil or wax can tip over and cause injury. Take account of the prevailing wind and ensure the lantern will burn out before it can land on nearby property or farmland – they can also be a danger to crops and livestock. Ask yourself whether the risk is really worth it before you set one alight.”
Lorries destroyed in scrapyard fire
Fire crews were called to a fire at a scrapyard in East Tilbury on 27th August.
The fire broke out at in the early hours of the morning. Three lorries were damaged in the incident.
Firefighters from Grays, Orsett and Basildon attended the incident at the Readmans Industrial Estate on Station Road, East Tilbury at around 1am and spent several hours at the scene.
A spokesperson for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the electricity board was also called to isolate the power supply to the site as it was “hampering firefighting operations”.
An investigation will now be carried out into how the fire was started.
Sheffield Fire Service urge you to ‘Press The Button’
Fire chiefs in Sheffield are urging people to sign up to their Press The Button campaign in an attempt to get people to check that their smoke alarms are in working order.
The campaign comes after crews rescued a woman from her burning flat and discovered that the smoke alarm had been disconnected.
The woman was found face down on her bed at the Royal Exchange Works, Lady’s Bridge.
The fire started when a pan in the kitchen caught fire at around 2am.
Group manager Mick Mason said: “But for the swift actions of our fire crews, this could easily have been a much more serious incident. It’s shocking that people continue to disconnect smoke alarms, which can give them vital extra minutes to escape in the event of a fire.”
South Yorkshire’s firefighters have attended around 100 fires in homes where smoke alarms had been removed or where not working.
Visit www.pressthebutton.co.uk to sign up.
Man dies in Milton Keynes garage fire
A man has died in a fire that broke out at a garage in Milton Keynes.
The fire started at Pluto Autos on Church Street, Bletchley in the early hours of Saturday 1st September.
Police have confirmed that firefighters found the man in the workshop area of the garage and carried him out of the building but sadly they were unable to resuscitate him.
Greg Smith from Buckingham Fire and Rescue Service said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and friends and the local community.
Mr Smith added: “Firefighters will be visiting the area today to provide reassurance and offer fire safety advice to local residents.”
A spokesman for the police said that the death of the man was being treated as ‘unexplained’.